Section of Thames Tunnel
Title

Section of Thames Tunnel

Caption

Section of Thames Tunnel (1825-1843) showing men at work in shield (right) while others take away spoil. Picture also shows construction of arched masonry lining using Roman cement behind shield. Patent for this first tunnelling shield taken out by Marc Isambart Brunel 1818. Marc Isambart Brunel was site engineer. Tunnel still used by electric trains between
Whitechapel and New Cross
1842
Woodcut
London

Date

19th century

Credit line

Photo12/Ann Ronan Picture Library

Reference

ARP07094_390000833

License type

Rights managed

Available size

27,4Mb (3,1Mb) / 12,6in x 8,4in / 3780 x 2532 (300dpi)

Please log in to download the high resolution file