
Sujet
Entrance to the first Harecastle tunnel on the Grand Trunk
Légende
Entrance to the first Harecastle tunnel on the Grand Trunk (later Trent and Mersey) Canal. Built by the English civil engineer James Brindley (1716-1772) between 1770 and 1777. There was no towpath and the bargees had to leg their boats along the 2,880 yards (2,632.72 metres). Closed after a partial collapse in 1914. From "Scenes in England" by the Rev. Isaac Taylor, London, 1822. Hand-coloured engraving.
Info+
Photos12.com - Ann Ronan Picture Library
Crédit
Photo12/Ann Ronan Picture Library
Notre référence
ARP07113_010266C
Licence
Droits gérés
Format disponible
20,9Mo (954,6Ko) / 30,0cm x 17,5cm / 3543 x 2066 (300dpi)